Honey is a wonderful contribution from the small insects called honey bee. The thick golden- coloured liquid is produced by the honey bees and they store it in their meticulously designed hives. Honey bee collects nectar from the flowers and stores it in their extra stomach called ‘crop’. The nectar will mix with the enzymes and become suitable for long-term storage. Once it reaches the hive, it will pass the nectar by regurgitating it to another bee’s mouth. This process will continue until it gets deposited in the honeycomb. All the water content will be lost through evaporation, honey bees will seal the comb with a liquid secreted from their abdomen to turn the liquid into thick beeswax.
It is quite surprising to see how farsighted these little creatures are as they store honey for consumption during the time of winter. We, Vedagiri Herbals, collect honey from the tribals in Wayanad, in Kerala to provide honey having the best quality. Honey has been used by different human cultures for around 2500 years. It is an essential part of Ayurvedic medicine and researches are progressing in modern medicine to assess the medicinal properties of honey. The most interesting thing with honey is that it is quite easy to consume. It can be eaten directly or mixed with other food items.
We provide pure honey collected from the beehives without undergoing any kind of processing. It is the best and safest form of honey which can be consumed to enjoy all the health and medicinal properties which it contains.
Health benefits of honey
Honey has a number of health benefits. They are listed below:
- Natural sweetener:It can be used to replace sugar as it contains 69% glucose and fructose and is healthier than the normal white sugar.
- Reduce weight:Although honey contains more calories when compared to sugar, it can be consumed along with water or lime juice to reduce body weight. It is an ideal way to become slim as it doesn’t have any side effects.
- Energy source:Honey is used as a source of energy as it contains approximately 64 calories per tablespoon.
- Source of vitamins and minerals:Honey is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. It contains vitamin C, calcium and iron.
- Anti-oxidants: Honey contains antioxidants which remove free radicals from the body. This helps the immune system to prevent dangerous diseases like cancer.
Uses of honey
- Improve digestion:Consume a tablespoon of honey to improve digestion.
- Heal wounds:Apply honey directly on wounds for fast healing.
- Treat sore throat:Drink tea or warm water with honey or consume honey alone to cure sore throat.
- Acne cure:It can be used to reduce acne and is suitable for all skin types. Apply a tablespoon honey and apply it on your face. Wash it with warm water after 10 minutes and pat dry.
- Moisturize:Mix a spoonful of raw honey and olive oil along with a squeeze of lemon. It can be used as a moisturizing lotion for your skin.
- Shampoo:You can use honey as a shampoo to smoothen your hair
- Hair mask:Honey can be used to make your hair appear shiny. Mix 1 tablespoon honey with five cups of warm water and rinse thoroughly.
Honey can be stored for a long period of time as it doesn’t spoil quickly. The best way is to store it in jars or containers in cool room temperature. A temperature that is between 50-70 degrees Fahrenheit is suitable to keep honey fresh. Extreme temperature can result in the loss of its colour and flavour.
- Don’t mix honey with hot foods
- Don’t heat honey
- Don’t use honey when you are in hot temperature