Rice is one of the favourite foods in Kerala. As agriculture was the main occupation of Keralites, rice was cultivated extensively in earlier days. When we transformed into a consumer society, we began to buy food items from the market. The quality of these items has become low due to this trend. There are several types of rice available in the stores. The choice of rice is very important as it determines the health benefits.
Bamboo rice which is produced from the seeds of the bamboo tree is known for its nutritive qualities and medicinal properties. Bamboo rice is not commonly available as it takes several years for a bamboo tree to bloom. The bamboo tree will die after flowering and the seeds are produced at the end of its lifespan. It has become a main source of income for the tribal people as it is found in the woods.
Like all other types of rice, bamboo rice also contains calories and carbohydrates.
- Carbohydrates: A cup of rice contains 34 g of carbohydrates. Thus, it can be included in the diet for athletes as it is ideal for providing energy to the body.
- Antioxidants: The antioxidants in bamboo rice reduce the visible signs of ageing.
- Lower blood sugar levels: Regular consumption of bamboo rice will help to lower blood sugar levels in the body.
- Bamboo rice doesn’t contain fat: People who are on dietary control can include bamboo rice in their diet as it doesn’t contain fat.
- Effective for cough, cold and asthma: Powdered bamboo rice can be used to treat cough, cold and asthma
- Bamboo rice help to Control sugar,cholstrol and blood pressure , joints pain,back pain and rheumatic pain.
- It is very good for night blindness , over come vitamin deficiency on pregnancy.
- A rich source of vitamin B.
- Increase the sexual ability and immunol power . Also know as wild Viagra.
Bamboo rice can be cooked just like the regular rice. It has a nice taste similar to unpolished rice. Bamboo rice is also used to prepare pongal, kheer and porridge. Powdered bamboo rice can be administered to children as it is highly nutritious. One or two tablespoon rice powder can be mixed with honey and consumed twice daily to treat cough, cold and asthma.
How to make bamboo rice porridge?
- 3-4 tablespoon of bamboo rice
- Water as per requirement
- Salt as per taste
Method of preparation:
- Wash the bamboo rice
- Soak the rice in water for 6-7 hours
- Transfer the rice into a cooker after draining water
- Add 2 glass of water and add salt. Close the lid.
- Cook it in medium flame. Put the weight when you see vapours.
- Take it out from the flame after three whistles
- Transfer it to a serving bowl after pressure is reduced
How to make bamboo rice Kheer ?
- Bamboo seed/rice – 200 gms
- Jaggery – 500 gms, crushed
- Thick coconut milk – first milk – 1 cup
- Thin coconut milk – second milk – 4 cup
- Very thin coconut milk – third milk – 8 cup
- Cashew nuts – ½ cup
- Thin coconut slices – ½ cup
- Dried ginger powder – 1 Teaspoon
- Cumin seed powder – ½ Teaspoon
- Cardamom powder – 1 Teaspoon
- Ghee – ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoon
Method of preparation:
- Wash the bamboo rice thoroughly for 3-4 times in cold water and keep it aside.
- Boil crushed jaggery along with enough water, until the jaggery is completely dissolved. Filter it to remove impurities and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoon ghee in a pan, add in the coconut slices and fry until light golden in color on low heat. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add cashew nuts in the same pan and fry until light golden in color. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Place a heavy bottomed pan on medium heat. Pour third coconut milk(8 cups) and let it boil.
- When it starts to boil, add the washed bamboo rice and cook till the rice is ¾ cooked. If it is not cooked well, add sufficient water and cook again. Stir occasionally.
- Then add in the melted jaggery and second coconut milk(4 cups). Mix well and cook until the kheer is thick. Stir occasionally.
- Now add in the dried ginger powder, cardamom powder and mix well.
- Then add in the first coconut milk, fried cashew nuts, coconut slices, ¼ cup of ghee and mix well.
- Cook until the kheer is semi-thick on a medium flame for about 5-8 minutes. Stir continuously.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.
- Keep the container tightly closed
- Store bamboo rice in a cool and dry place